Using online free (or paid) diary services poses a risk for your private and sensitive data. If you consider your diary file private and secret, its better to avoid using online services.
People underestimate the importance of security and privacy on the online world. When using online diary services you are facing the following risks:
- Internet companies often go broke and then sold to another company. If this happens you do not know to whom your private data will end up with.
- A fired or disatisfied employee may want to do damage to the company by exposing or giving to someone else all the private data.
- A curious employee can also see your sensitive data.
- A hacker can break the system and either delete completely your data (but the companies usually keep a backup) or take your data and see how he can exploit them.
- Damaged hard disks (containing diary data) are also sent for repair without being wiped out first. Sometimes the damage does not allow them to be erased first. In those cases, technicians working in repair companies can also grab your data.